BALSAMIC VANILLA CHICKEN (by CharleneG)

1⁄2 cup fat free, less sodium chicken broth
    1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
    1⁄4 cup chopped shallots
    1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
    1⁄4 tsp grated orange rind
    1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
    1 (2 inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
    You may substitute 2 teasp. of vanilla extract.
    3⁄4 tsp salt, divided
    16 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
    Cooking spray
    1⁄2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    Orange rind strips (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 450.

2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean, stir seeds into broth mixture, reserving the bean for another use. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1⁄2 cup (about 20 minutes). Stir in 1⁄4 tsp salt.

3. Arrange chicken in a single layer in the bottom of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1⁄2 tsp salt and pepper. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes.

4. Brush half of broth mixture over chicken; bake 5 minutes. Brush remaining broth mixture over chicken, bake 15 minutes or until a thermometer registers 180. Garnish with orange rind, if desired.
    Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Re: Balsamic Vanilla Chicken

This sounds interesting...what does it taste like? I can't imagine the taste since it's not marinated, only brushed.

Comment

It has a sweet vanilla flavor to it. I honestly think it would be better if it marinated in the sauce for awhile. I think I'm going to do that next time I make it. It is very good.

Comment

We tried this tonight. I marinated the chicken (boobs) in the liquid and saved about a cup to reduce for glaze while grilling. It gave the kitchen the most interesting fragrance while it was marinating and Babe liked it... so did I... really interesting flavor. I'd highly recommend it for something completely different!
        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

It took Charlene a long time to talk me into trying this recipe. I was sorry I waited so long. It's REALLY good.

Comment

Working...
          X