1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup raspberry jam
    TOPPING
    1-1/2 cups confectioners sugar
    1 tsp light corn syrup
    1/4 tsp almond extract
    About 3 tbsp hot water
    glazed cherries, halved for tops

Put shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer until light and creamy. In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to shortening mixture. Beat at low speed until well blended. (Dough will be very soft yet pull away from sides of bowl) Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Cut dough into 4 portions. Dust 1 portion with flour and roll out to 1/8-inch thickness between 2 sheets of waxed paper (I just rolled on floured counter no prob) Keep remaining portions in fridge til needed. Cut into 2-inch rounds with cookie cutter, I used cutter with a scalloped edge, it turned out pretty cookies. Re-roll leftover pieces. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in centre of preheated 350 oven about 10 minutes, until lightly browned around edges. Cool 5 minutes on pan, then remove to rack to cool completely. Spread jam on what will be the bottom of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies so that jam is sandwiched between flat bottoms. For topping, stir together confectioners sugar, corn syrup, almond extract and enough hot water to make spreadable, thin icing. Ice tops of cookie sandwiches. Top with half a cherry.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Re: Empire Cookies

Thanks Mudbear....These sound yummy and looks easy. That's my kind of recipe. I will try these for the holidays.

Comment

They are very good. I used to buy my DS, now 18, one of these cookies at our local bakery for a treat every now and again when he was a little gaffer. I made them the other day to surprise him when he came home from school. I had a container of them sitting on the table just inside the front door when he walked in,you should have seen the look on his face when he saw them~priceless!

Comment

What is golden shortening?

Comment

It is golden in colour and has a bit of a butter flavour

Comment

Working...
          X