Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Butter Sugar Cookies

Mary Annís Brown Butter Sugar Cookies

(This is a variation of an old-fashioned brown butter cookie)

Butter. sticks (1/2 pound)

Sugar (I use bakerís sugar but I doubt it matters) ĺ cup

Egg, one

Vanilla, 2 teaspoons

Flour, 2 cups all purpose

Place butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Under medium heat on the stovetop, cook butter until golden brown, stirring occasionally. It will foam up quite a bit at first, then calm and later return to a lower foaming. Watch carefully then as it will turn from a deeper yellow to golden brown rather fast at that point---and could burn quickly after that. Pour into a bowl to refrigerate until when stirred you obtain a soften butter consistency.

Preheat oven to 325 to 350.

Place brown butter in a mixing bowl with other ingredients except flour. Mix for a couple of minutes, then add flour in increments (three is fine).

Roll into 1-inch balls, dip in decorator sugar, and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Press down with fork tinges of other item that would make an interesting pattern. (I used a decanter top.)

Bake just until a light golden color shows around the edges. Leave on cookie sheet a minute or so before removing to a rack or cut apart brown paper bag to cool (the inside of a grocery bag is usually very clean).

This dough will not stick to your hands or whatever you use to press them down. The cookie is quite pretty and can be made with colors appropriate to Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, autumn colors, etc.

==========================================

I made these this afternoon. DH insists that our future son-in-law isn't a picky eater but you should have heard the list of things he doesn't like or won't even try! LOL When I heard that he does like all things sweet, I had to made something special for him.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by olmphoto2; 09-26-2010, 02:42 PM.
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.Ē

Ludwig Wittgenstein
Working...
X