Applesauce Raisin Spice Cake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applesauce Raisin Spice Cake

There are several ways to top this cake.Some people might sift some powdered confectionary sugar lightly over the top,or frost it w/a caramel frosting.Or they may spoon some warm applesauce over each individual portion.You may choose one of these toppings over another one,or you may like it plain on top.If so,there is really nothing plain about this cake.Imo it would stand on its own minus a topping.Now,I myself & DH, we are partial to this somewhat light glazing which is posted at the end of this recipe.Hope you enjoy this! I feel a cup of coffee coming on!

D's Mom's Applesauce Raisin Spice Cake:
    Serves 15

1 c.granulated sugar
    1 c.light brown sugar
    1/2 c.butter,softened
    1 egg
    1 tsp.salt
    1 tsp.cinnamon
    1 tsp.nutmeg
    1/2 tsp.cloves
    2 c.sifted flour(Sifted 3 times before sifting it in w/the other ingredients,to make sure to the get exact amount of flour.)
    2 tsp.baking soda
    1 c.chopped English walnuts(By saying "English"walnut,I meant the regular walnut that is pkg'd & sold here in America.In our vicinity thats what we call them anyway.)& dont substitute regular walnuts for black walnuts(The flavor of the black walnut is too overwhelming & is oily,which the batter doesnt need,its VERY moist as is!)
    1 c.raisins
    2 c.unsweetened applesauce

Grease & flour a 9"x13" baking pan,set aside.Cream together the softened butter & the sugars till mixed well,scraping down the sides of the bowl often.Add the egg & beat till light & fluffy.

Sift together the dry ingredients(salt,cinnamon,nutmeg,cloves,flour & baking soda.)After sifting this dry ingredient mixture altogether several times,then add it alternately w/the applesauce to the first mixture of the creamed,wet ingredients(both of the sugars,the softened butter & the egg )starting & ending w/the combined flour mixture.

Add the raisins & chopped walnuts to the batter with a large heavy spoon,mix altogether.Spoon this batter into the prepared baking pan.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes F.or till the cake tests done w/a toothpick.

Light Caramel-Cinnamon Glaze:
    Makes about 1/2 c.

3 T.butter
    3 T.packed light brown sugar
    3 T.granulated sugar
    3 T.heavy whipping cream
    1/2 tsp.pure vanilla extract
    1-2 light dashes of cinnamon

Place the butter,both sugars & the heavy cream in a heavy duty medium-sized saucepan over medium heat.Bring this mixture to a boil,stirring.Let boil for 1 minute,stirring often!

Remove the pan from the heat,add the vanilla & 1-2 light dashes of cinnamon powder,whisk altogether well.Pour & spread the warm glaze onto the warm cake,getting it spread evenly.

Edited for:
    Changed the word from baking "sheet" to baking "pan."

Edited for:
    Pour & spread the warm glaze onto the "warm" cake,getting it spread evenly(Added "warm" to this sentence.)

Edited for:
    Dont substitute black walnuts for the specified "English"walnuts,black walnut flavor overwhelms & not in a good way, for this specific cake.Plus black walnuts tend to be oily & the batter doesnt need any more moisture.the cake is VERY moist as is.
    Last edited by D'sMom; 03-15-2017, 03:18 PM.

Bumping this delicious cake for CKers looking for it I bought finely diced walnuts instead of using English walnuts. I also plumped my raisins by putting in hot water, letting it sit for 5 or 10 minutes, drained and then added to the cake. This was a wonderfully moist and very tasty cake. I would definitely make again.

Comment

Thank you for trying this Vera,I'm so glad you liked it.Its really spicy,sticky & yummy.Promise!
      Last edited by D'sMom; 12-05-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

This sounds so good! I used to make one like this many years ago and Iíd forgotten all about it. I will definitely try this one soon.

Comment

Charlene:
          I hope that you get to try this!

Comment

Hi Charlene,
            After you make this cake,will you please let us know what you think of it?I would appreciate it.TY!DH & I love the caramel-cinnamon glaze

Comment

Oops! Made a boo boo.
              Last edited by CharleneG; 12-27-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=D'sMom;n730586]Hi Charlene,
                After you make this cake,will you please let us know what you think of it?I would appreciate it.TY!DH & I love the caramel-cinnamon glaze[/QUOTE]

I sure will! Iím not sure when Iíll get to it though. As I may have mentioned before, Iím not much of a baker.

Comment

Charlene,this is so easy to make!I hope that you do get to make this.

Comment

Working...
                  X