Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

I got this recipe from our dear tigerlily, Lily Decknadel, and I’m making it tonight in memory of her. It’s a very tasty recipe.

Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas

From Lily Decknadel

This is a dish I make often. I don’t have a formal recipe, so the measurements are approximate. This is a versatile dish that you can tweak to your tastes.

3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (or rotisserie chicken)
    1-4 oz. can of diced green chilies
    3 oz. of cream cheese, softened
    -1/3 cup sour cream
    1 cups shredded cheese (your choice. I have used sharp and regular cheddar, pepper jack and the Mexican blend…whatever I have on hand. Sharp is my favorite, but I often mix two kinds)
    cup diced green onions
    cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
    - 1 cup sliced black olives
    1 pkg. 8” corn or flour tortillas
    1 19 oz. can of green chile enchilada sauce (I use La Victoria brand mild or medium)

Poach chicken breasts just until juices run clear. They will continue to cook while they are cooling, so don’t over cook them. Put breasts on a cutting board until cool enough to handle, then dice.

In a large bowl, combine chicken, diced green chilies green onions, cilantro, and enough cream cheese and sour cream to make it just creamy, but not gooey. Fold in about cup shredded cheese, or more to your liking.

Heat tortillas in the microwave, one at a time, for about 10-12 seconds on high to soften. Put about -3/4 cup filling on tortilla and roll up. Place seam side down in a 9 x 13” baking dish that has been sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Continue with more tortillas until all the filling has been used up.

Pour green chile enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese next, and top with sliced black olives. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or in the microwave on high for about 20 minutes until bubbly. Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole if desired.

Notes: I have cut this recipe to two chicken breasts, the other ingredients adjusted accordingly, and baked in an 8x8” dish, using a 15 oz. can of green chile sauce. Occasionally, I use about 1/8- teas. of dried cumin instead of using cilantro, but neither is necessary.

Charlene's notes: Oh my, these were absolutely delicious! Great recipe. I'll admit, I didn't make my own verde sauce, I was just too tired to do it. I used La Victoria and I mixed about a 1/2 cup of sour cream in it. YUM!!! When I poached the chicken I used a little chicken broth and a couple of big cloves of garlic and salted the chicken. When I chopped the chicken I smashed the poached garlic in with it. I used Colby Jack cheese for the filling (I had a small amount that needed to be used) and shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend for the top. I did use the cilantro in it too. When I heated the corn tortillas I sprayed them with a little Pam spray before I put them in the microwave and they came out really nice too. All in all, this recipe is definitely a winner and I will be making it again and again and again.

Thank you CharleneG for your recipe, i tried it at home, it came so tasty and my family members also like it very much.

Comment

You’re welcome! I know of a few others that have made this recipe and we all love it, just like we all loved Lily.

Comment

Working...
      X