Cook’s Country Marinated Zucchini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cook’s Country Marinated Zucchini

I made this today, it was really tasty. I didn’t use the crushed red pepper, we’re not fans of it and I don’t even have any!

Cook’s Country Marinated Zucchini

SERVES 4 to 6
    INGREDIENTS

5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    3 tablespoons minced shallot
    1 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoons table salt
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1 garlic clove, minced
    ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1 pounds zucchini, trimmed and halved lengthwise
    1 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved with vegetable peeler (about ⅔ cup)

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
    You will need one medium shallot to yield the 3 tablespoons called for here. Buy medium zucchini that weigh about 8 ounces each.
    INSTRUCTIONS
    Combine cup oil, shallot, lemon juice, salt, thyme, garlic, and pepper flakes in medium bowl.
    Pat zucchini dry with paper towels. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add half of zucchini to skillet cut side down and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until skin side is spotty brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to large plate. Repeat with remaining zucchini. Let cool for 5 minutes.
    Slice zucchini crosswise inch thick. Transfer zucchini to bowl with oil mixture and toss to evenly coat. Marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. (If marinating longer than 1 hour, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving.)
    Season zucchini with salt to taste. Transfer zucchini to shallow platter and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve.

Charlene’s notes: 7-31-2020 Excellent! I didn’t use the crushed red pepper, not a fan of it. Followed the recipe exactly otherwise.

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
    We wanted to add some pop to mild zucchini by marinating it in a punchy, Italian-inspired dressing. Cooking the zucchini in large pieces drove off some of the squash's water and built flavor by lightly caramelizing the outside without turning the squash to mush. After searing, we cut the zucchini into bite-size pieces and let it marinate for an hour (or longer) in a flavorful vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Shaved Parmesan cheese added before serving gave extra richness and nutty savoriness.

Working...
X