X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Fashioned Cottage Cheese Pie

This is the recipe I finally settled on

[B]Old Fashioned Cottage Cheese Pie[/B]

1 1/4 cup cottage cheese ( I used 2% milk fat small curd cottage cheese)
    3/4 cups sugar, or less if you like it less sweet.
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon, and more for sprinkling on top
    1 TBLS. flour
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup half and half (I used fat free half and half)
    1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 425. Combine sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon. Gradually add to cottage cheese and blend well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in milk and vanilla. Pour into an unbaked pie shell (use a deep dish pie shell)*
    Cover edge of crust with a shield or tin foil. Bake for 10 minutes at 425, then reduce oven to 350 and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes until center is set. Sprinkle additional cinnamon on top of pie. I use a salt shaker to do this. It's easier to control amount.

*Note....Store bought pie shells in the aluminum pans do not seem to get done with this pie for some reason.

This is my favorite pie crust. I dont' like to clean up the flour after rolling out a pie crust.

[B]Pie Crust[/B]

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    3 TBLS. milk
    1/2 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients, then add oil and milk and mix until flour disappears. Press into pie pan with fingers and flat of hand. Get as even as possible across the bottom and up the sides. For deep dish pie pan with a fluted top, increase the recipe amounts by 1/4.

I hope it tasted like what you wanted Allie.

I had tomato aspic decades ago from a neighbor lady that was so easy, quick and not a lot of ingredients. Do you think I was smart enough that I asked for the recipe or can remember how it was made? That would be a no.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

[QUOTE=livetobake;n753904]I hope it tasted like what you wanted Allie.

I had tomato aspic decades ago from a neighbor lady that was so easy, quick and not a lot of ingredients. Do you think I was smart enough that I asked for the recipe or can remember how it was made? That would be a no.[/QUOTE]

My grandmother died in 1993. I was 35 at the time. We saw her at least once a week my entire life...she usually came to our house after church and she always brought the desserts. I never even thought to ask for her recipes. She made a killer apple pie too, and special sugar cookies.

About the pie. She's been gone too long for me to be able to tell the small differences between the pie I made and the one she made. It's close enough to remind me of her when I eat it though.

Comment

That is what is important, the memory. I am glad it is bringing back the memories that you cherish.
        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Working...
        X