• Show
Clear All

• Mexican Lasagna, South of the Border

Mexican Lasagna, South of the Border

2 1/2 lbs. hamburger meat
    1 med. onion
    4 cloves garlic
    2 TBLS. plus 1/8 tsp. chili powder
    4 (8 oz.) cans of tomato sauce ( I used salt-free)
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 TBLS. salt (I'll use less next time)
    1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, chopped
    1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
    12 corn tortillas
    2 cup small curd cottage cheese
    1 large egg, beaten
    8 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, grated (I used a Mexican blend containing Monterey Jack cheese)

Toppings:
    1/2 cup green onions, chopped
    1 small can black olives, sliced
    16 oz. sour cream

Brown ground meat in a large pot or skillet and drain (I think a skillet would be too small). Add onion and garlic. Cook until onions are soft. Sprinkle chili powder on and mix well. Mix in tomato sauce, sugar, salt and chilies. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. At this time, soften corn tortillas in hot vegetable oil. (I didn't do this, I just softened them in the microwave to avoid the extra fat). Mix cottage cheese and egg together, and set aside. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with Pam. Layer 1/3 meat mixture, 1/2 Monterey jack cheese, 1/2 cottage cheese mixture and 6 corn tortillas in the pan. Repeat layers ending with the meat mixture. Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top (for fat-free cheddar cheese, add it after it is taken out of the oven so it doesn't harden)
    Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Place toppings in separate bowls and let people choose their own toppings.

*Note Since I am on a low fat diet, I used low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese and cheddar cheese. I used the 2% Mexican blend in place of the Monteray Jack cheese since I'm lazy and didn't want to grate it myself. My little grocery store didn't even have grated Monterey Jack cheese.
    We thought it was a little salty, even though I used salt-free tomato sauce, so next time I'll use less salt...maybe 2 tsp. salt in place of the 1 TBLS. But, if you are one that needs to add salt to everything, use the 1 TBLS. salt
Working...
X