X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highland Meat Loaf

HIGHLAND MEAT LOAF

Recipe from a newspaper in the 60s

2 lb ground beef or meat loaf mix (beef, pork and veal, ground)
    2 eggs
    1 large clove garlic, minced (2 lg tsp)
    1/4 cup Penzey's Dried Shallots, reconstituted (put soaking liquid in the meatloaf)
    1 cup soft bread crumbs ( I used sourdough)
    2-3 Tbsp milk
    1/3 cup grated carrot
    1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1-1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    3/4 cup tomato juice (in meat)* see note OR
    1/2 cup tomato juice mixed with 1/4 Heinz Chili Sauce
    3/4 cup tomato juice (over meat) *see note OR
    1/2 cup tomato juice mixed with 1/4 Heinz Chili Sauce

INSTRUCTIONS
    Stir milk into shredded breadcrumbs to make a panade. Let stand for about 10 minutes.

Mix ingredients well and put in casserole dish and cover with remaining tomato juice. Bake at 375 degrees for about 60 minutes. Let it stand at least 10 minutes to re-absorb the juices.

Note 2-14-2019: I used 1/2 cup tomato juice mixed with 1/4 Heinz Chili Sauce twice, once mixed in with the meat, once poured over the meat.

Note 2-2-2022: I used 1 lb lean ground beef and 1 pound ground veal and sourdough bread crumbs. I mixed it all up in the morning and refrigerated it until time to bake and then poured the tomato juice/Heinz chili sauce mix over the top.

Sounds very good. TY for sharing. I Think I have everything except penzys spice. This just may be on the snowed in list.

Comment

Rosie, you can use fresh chopped onion or shallot in it with no problem at all. I use the air dried shallots in a few different things so I always have them on hand. The reconstituting water only amounts to about a tablespoon after hydrating the dried shallots.

Comment

Working...
      X