Chicken a la King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken a la King

This is a recipe out of a Pillsbury recipe booklet , way back from 2002 , it is my standby recipe for cold weather , which doesn't happen too often here in south texas.

1 ( 9-oz.) pkg frozen diced cooked chicken ( I use a rotisserie grilled chicken and use the chicken breast, sliced it in chunks . )

1/4 cup margarine or butter, I use butter only
    1/3 cup all purpose flour
    1 ( 10 1/2 -oz ) can condensed chicken broth ( I use chicken stock or beef stock , much more flavor full )
    1 1/4 cup milk, I use whole milk
    I cup frozen sweet peas or mixed frozen vegetables
    1 4 oz can of mushrooms, pieces and stems, drained. ( I don't like canned mushrooms, they don't taste good.) So I buy some fresh mushrooms, clean them and slice them up and sauté them before adding them to the sauce.
    1 2 oz jar of diced pimientos , drained
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    I usually taste the sauce in the end and see if I need to add more salt or pepper.

If you use the frozen chicken pieces you need to thaw them and cook them
    Melt butter in saucepan over medium low heat, add flour, stir until well blended.
    Gradually stir in broth and milk, stirring and cooking until bubbly and thickened.
    Add chicken and all remaining ingredients; mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes or so until heated through.

You can serve this over rice, noodles, mashed potatoes , whatever you prefer.
    I serve the chicken mixture over hot biscuits. ( out of a can of course ) LOL
    Since it is just the two of us there is leftover, which I keep in a sealed container for another meal. I have kept the leftover for 3 days, I wouldn't keep it any longer then that.

Nothing like a comforting, classic recipe such as this - have not had it in years. I have been on the hunt for pimentos for a long time, seem to have disappeared in Ontario, Canada. Now, I did pick up one jar. why only one I don't know, while I was in Florida this winter...I bought it for putting in my summer pasta salads.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Working...
    X